I decided that I still wanted to celebrate the holiday (old habits and all that...), so P and I invited some friends over to celebrate "Friendsgiving" instead! I certainly can't claim credit for the name, but I fully take credit for the many hours spent in the kitchen preparing the delicious food! It was a rather ambitious menu, I confess, but I think everything turned out alright! Here's what we had to eat...
apple crumble pie (my own recipe,
here)
vanilla ice cream
*for the macaroni + cheese, I used applewood smoked cheese, cheddar and parmesan
I'm a vegetarian, and P doesn't really eat turkey all that much, so we decided to go for chicken instead. A bit non-traditional, sure, but better for my sanity I think. I found all of these recipes through various blogs I follow, a few google searches, and some old favorites too! My main goal with cooking all of this food? Pace myself! I made the pies, cranberry sauce, eggnog and gravy on Friday so that I could focus on the bird and veggies on the actual day. I had to plan out a schedule based on cooking times and cooking temperatures, because I'm very strange and something in my brain said that that would be a helpful way to do it.



Celebrating Friendsgiving definitely made me a little homesick, but it was so nice to just be surrounded by friends, eating good food and just having a nice time together. It really is the perfect holiday, because it's just about enjoying each other's company, and giving thanks for the things you have. I'm thankful for a wonderful husband, a loving family, a comfortable home, and new friends!
The best part? Since everyone (with the exception of myself and two others) was British, they'd never actually celebrated Thanksgiving before! There was a lot of chatter about Thanksgiving traditions, and how we all celebrate the holidays. Mostly, it was a great group of people enjoying one another's company. I put my camera away during dinner, but I did manage to get one picture of our full plates!
Did any of you celebrate Thanksgiving for the first time? What did you think?