I used to subscribe to Birchbox when I was still living in New York, and it was so nice to have my monthly little samples turn up in the mail. I found so many great products through Birchbox, so I thought it was time I subscribed again here in the UK! This month's box featured some really great products!
what's in my birchbox?
lord & berry silhouette neutral lip liner
"visible lip liner will be a thing of the past with this neutral hued one from Lord & Berry!
my impression: I love wearing lipstick, especially bright reds, but my biggest problem is that it tends to run! I'm constantly taking a tissue and wiping away stray bits, so I was curious to see how well this lipliner would work. Firstly, it is essentially invisible, which means it can be used with any lipstick! My lipstick went on smoothly, and stayed in place! Well, until I had a cup of tea and all my lipstick came off on the mug... I used it again later in the day and it worked just as well! My lipstick stayed in place all evening!
living proof restore instant repair
"the lightweight formula smooths and coats the hair shaft, sealing frayed ends while helping prevent new ones."
my impression: Curly hair is notoriously dry, and I'm constantly looking for products to add moisture to my hair and help beat frizz. I was impressed with the creamy texture, and my hair did feel hydrated as I put it on (thought I used more than the dime-sized amount they recommend... which I usually have to). As my hair dried, I noticed it was still frizzy, but my hair still felt hydrated. I'll have to keep trying this one and see how it goes, and maybe use a bit more next time...
trilogy make up be gone cleansing balm
"this luxurious balm from Trilogy is our secret weapon, formulated with a rich blend of pure plant oils, it melts on contact with warm skin."
my impression: I am so guilty of not taking off my makeup at the end of the night. I know, terrible habit, right? To be fair, I don't wear a ton of makeup, usually just lipstick and eyeliner. This makeup remover was an interesting choice. You rub it into your face and then wipe off with a warm cloth. It got my lipstick off completely in two swipes which was amazing, though my eyeliner took a bit more effort and only really disappeared as I dried my face. I wasn't too keen on the texture, as my skin is already oily so it felt overly greasy... once I dried my face though it definitely felt clean without being too dry!
ren wake up wonderful night-time facial
"do you often dream of waking up with refreshed, radiant skin? Well, your dreams are about to come true!"
my impression: My skincare regiment right now is, sadly, non-existent. I have finally finished all of the face wash I brought with me from the States. Thus, a major reason for signing up to Birchbox again. The first thing I noticed was the scent! It took me a few tries to place it but then I realized it smelled like apricots! It went on smoothly and absorbed right up, though my face did tingle a bit (tots normal according to the label!) In the morning, my skin felt great! I wouldn't say it was glowing but it felt soft and wasn't as oily as it normally is first thing in the morning, which is a definite bonus!
cowshed cow pat hand cream
"this essential oil-based hand cream from lovers of nature, Cowshed, will leave your hands as fresh as an English garden."
my impression: When I first put on the hand cream, I noticed how thick it was, which is a definite plus for me. There's nothing worse than a watery hand cream, because it does absolutely nothing! This one was nice and creamy and made my hands feel really soft. It does leave a bit of a residue on the skin, and I wasn't so fond of the scent, but that dissipated fairly quickly. To be honest, I'm not sure whether or not i like it but I'll keep using it for a little longer...
english laundry notting hill femme eau de parfum
"this fresh, classic scent opens with notes of bergamot, mandarin, and cassis."
my impression: I loved this perfume! I'm not a big fan of overly floral scents, and tend to lean more toward muskier scents, and this ticked all the boxes. It was musky but not too overwhelming. The hint of vanilla and jasmine were lovely additions. I even had P smell my wrist and he liked it too!
The verdict: I loved the Notting Hill perfume, the REN overnight facial and the Lord & Berry lipliner, so I'll definitely be adding those to my wishlist! I wasn't completely sold on the Living Proof hair cream, or the Cowshed hand cream, but I'll keep using the samples for now.
Do you subscribe to Birchbox? What did you think about your samples?
Labels: beauty, birchbox, product review