A few years ago, I never would have thought I'd introduce myself to anyone as a blogger. It was something I did once in a blue moon, and meant nothing. These days, though, it's become part of my identity. Strange, right? Particularly in the last year, what with moving, being unemployed and needing a creative outlet, i turned to my blog and now it's precious to me! So I've decided to set a few goals for myself.
Content That Reflects Me:
This one seems pretty obvious, but I felt like I needed to remind myself of it. I love sharing my thoughts and what I'm up to, but I don't always have anything to share. I think it's because I've put myself into a box and said I'm only going to talk about this one thing, or this other thing. I shared a post a few weeks ago about my one year anniversary of moving to London, and it was so cathartic. So, in addition to posts about my favorite beauty products, places I go in London, and my latest Asos purchase, I will not force myself away from writing about my emotional life.
Stop Comparing Myself to Others:
There are a fair number of blogs that I read religiously, and sometimes I find myself thinking, "Oh, I wish I could write like that," or "I wish my photos looked like that." It's a bad habit that I need to break. My blog should only be a representation of who I am. I can strive for things, certainly, like expanding my wardrobe so that I don't wear things to death (truth. I'm guilty of owning only 2 pairs of jeans at a time and then not buying new ones until they're falling apart), or having a more complete beauty regime. However, it should never be about trying to become someone else.
Invest More Into Blogging:
At the moment, I use Blogger, which is a free platform, but there is a limit to what I can do with it. I don't know a ton about coding and setting up sites, but I sometimes think I need to get an actual design, do some artwork for it, and just generally put more time into the presentation of it. Last August, while I was at The Blogger's Market (which you can read about
here), I had a little illustration done by the lovely
Emma Block, and it made me realize I could do so much more with my blog!
Bone Up on My Photography Skills:
This is so embarrassing to admit, especially as the daughter of a photographer, but I know so little about photography and how to use my camera. I've always loved photography, but as a hobby more than anything. In September, I did a photography workshop run by one of my favorite bloggers, Carrie Harwood of
WishWishWish (which I have a
post about, if you're curious) and it taught me so much! I'm less afraid of my camera, and my photos have definitely improved but I'd love to keep learning! Doing flat lays, getting better quality photos, editing photos, etc. These are all things i should really have in my arsenal.
I could go on for ages about all the things I'd love to do to improve my blogging skills, but these are the ones I'd really like to focus on this year!
What do you think? Do all you other bloggers out there have goals you'd like to work on this year? I'd love to hear them!
Labels: blogging, lifestyle, resolutions