P and I have a fair bit of wood in our house. The dining table, coffee table, bookshelf, even one of our mirrors is framed in wood. When I was thinking of what kind of coat rack we should get, I thought a piece of driftwood would be perfect. A piece of wood with a bit of character, a bit of history. I searched online for driftwood coat racks and promptly got a few good ideas. I loved the idea of an old piece of driftwood and some beautiful mismatched knobs to give it a unique look.



It took a little while to find the perfect piece of driftwood, but I scoured ebay until I found something that would work. It's a beautiful piece of driftwood from the West Coast of Scotland. It was flat enough and had some worn edges that gave it a lot of character. In other words, it was perfect! The knobs are all from Anthropologie. They were a little pricey, but I waited until some of them went on sale, and it was well worth it. I was able to find some that went together really well and also complimented the driftwood and the colors we've painted the flat.


Then came the construction part. I measured out enough holes for the knobs, equidistant across the wood, and then drilled holes at each spot. The stems of the knobs are very long, so chances are, you'll have to trim them. Lucky for me, I work near some carpenters, and they trimmed them for me, using a hacksaw. Then I played around with the order of the knobs just to see which way I liked it best. Once I found the best order, I attached each knob with a nut and hung it up on the wall!
This was a more straightforward project I think but I can't tell you the difference it makes to have a nice piece in our entryway. I'm saving photos of what it looks like hanging up for when I do a post about our renovations, but we've still got some work to do!
What do you guys think?
Labels: diy, home decor, lifestyle