This month's Birchbox was a little light on actual beauty products, but I was interested to see what they were offering in lieu of said beauty products. Still, as usual, I'm curious about these products! The main reason for my joining Birchbox was to find new beauty products and learn about things I didn't know about before!
what's in my birchbox?
spectrum collections tapered powder brush
"this vibrant hand-finished brush makes light work of powder application (whether that's setting powder, shimmery highlighters, or your favorite bronzer) thanks to the precisely-shaped tip and super-soft tapered bristles. Oh, and it's absolutely gorgeous!"
my impression: gorgeous indeed and oh, so soft. I used this bad boy to apply some blush, and it worked a treat! The blush went on super smooth, and I was definitely amused by the bright colours of the brush! Should I mention again how soft it was?
LOC one and done shadow stick in Champagne Problems'
"STOP PRESS! What you are about to experience is Birchbox's first in-house make-up brand that we are SO excited to share with you. So what can you expect? Up to 11 hours of creaseless, waterproof colour in one handy stick, that's what. This nifty formula has been created by our in-house product development team to eliminate the need for multiple brushes, blenders, and primers, and deliver effortless on-trend colour in one easy swipe.
my impression: Love love love! This baby was perfect! Quick and on the go, the golden hue complemented my skin really well, and took all of 5 seconds to apply. I drew some on, smudged it a bit, and them carried on with my eyeliner and mascara! Perfection!
ole henriksen truth serum collagen booster
"while getting your quota of fruit-and-veggies is a surefire way to boost your vitamin levels, what about a does of the good stuff for your skin too? This miracle worker uses a high-powered vitamin C complex to smooth fine lines, plump and protect the skin.
my impression: I can't tell you whether or not this worked. To be honest, I didn't see a difference. I didn't like the texture of it, and it felt a little wet and sticky going on to my face. So far, the best face product I've got in a Birchbox was the REN Overnight Facial. It's gonna take a lot to beat that!
ayres body butter in Patagonia
"Not only is this luxurious plant-based formula brimming with shea butter, vitamin E, and antioxidants to soften and hydrate, but the mix of jasmine, lavender, and ylang-ylang leaves behind a serene scent that lingers on your nourished skin.
my impression: Was it nice? Yes. Did it smell nice? Yes. Did it completely blow me away? Not really. It was a nice moisturizer, but it was a little too thick for my liking. My skin certainly soaked it up, but it didn't really leave too much of an impression.
theBalm cosmetics frat boy blush/shadow:
"The secret to a youthful complexion? A rosy glow! fake that radiant flush with this pretty suits-all-complexions blush."
my impression: Love a bit of blush, but I never wear blush! I feel like I should now! I really like the pink colour, and thought it was really flattering on my complexion. The actual sample was a little small, but given a full-sized blush, I bet it would be really great!
l.erikson grab & go ponytail holder
"whether you're sweeping hair off your face to apply your make-up, heading to the gym after work, or just want to switch up your 'do halfway through the day, you'll never be caught short with this handy, metal-free hair-tie in your bag."
my impression: these hair ties are officially my holy grail of hair ties! It's actually amazing! I tested this baby out when I went to the gym. Normally, I have to retie my hair multiple times from all the running and jumping and general motion. With this beauty, I tied my hair up, and it didn't budge until I took it out after my workout. That never happens!! I'm in love!
The verdict: I confess, I was a little worried about the lack of beauty products in this months box. It seemed a little on the light side. I'm totally convinced, though, that things like brushes and hair ties can be well worth the extra space! I'd say 8 out of 10 for this one!
Labels: beauty, birchbox, product review