I've had a few moments recently when someone has commented on an item of clothing that I own, and have worn, as being my identifier. I mean, specifically, the watermelon dress I own from Sugarhill Boutique. On three or four separate occasions, I had a person identify me as the wearer of said dress, even though it was months ago that they saw me in it. Each of those times, it led to a discussion about how I wear patterns and after taking a look at my wardrobe, I can concede that I do have some interesting pieces!
The more I think about it, I find myself drawn to items of clothing that are unique and fun. A dinosaur jumpsuit, a watermelon printed dress, a skirt with sailboats on it, pineapple printed dungarees... you name it, I've probably bought, or lusted after something that seems utterly silly, but looks oh so adorable! My style is always evolving, but quirky patterns, like leopard print, will always be my bread and butter.
I love patterns, from gingham and stripes, to bicycles and bunting, and I think it makes clothing fun! I also think it's important that my clothes reflect my personality, and I've always thought of myself as quirky. It's a personal reflection, isn't it? I was a tomboy for the first 20 years of my life, and now I fee like I'm coming into my own style.


So where do I find these quirky items of clothing? Well, I'm always looking at clothing, and I've got a running wishlist of things from
The Whitepepper,
Modcloth,
Sugarhill Boutique,
Zara,
Yumi,
Lazy Oaf,
Dahlia,
ModDolly, and a few others. Patterns aren't a prerequisite for sticking with a brand, but it definitely helps! I always keep an eye out at the places I turn to for basic staples, like
New Look,
Topshop,
Asos,
Pull & Bear,
Mango or
H&M, because sometimes they have fun and unusual pieces as well. The main thing is that I find clothes that I feel comfortable in. Loud patterns are enough of an eye-catcher, so if it's something I'm not comfortable wearing, then it won't be worth it, really.
It's funny, I've never actually stopped to think about why I pick clothes with fun patterns on them, until people started that conversation with me. I just knew that I liked those things!
Do you have any go to style choices? Any patterns you find yourself wearing a lot of? I'm curious if other people find themselves drawn to a particular type of clothing?
Labels: fashion, outfits, patterns, personal style