sunday musings 29.16

I sometimes struggle with depression. It's a difficult thing to talk about, and sometimes it's difficult to explain as well, but there are times when I feel very low. Things in my life can be a trigger for these feelings but sometimes, they just come on their own. When they do come along, there are certain things I do to help me cope with them. 
Just to clarify, I don't take meds, and I don't fall under the category of clinically depressed. It isn't as cut and dry as you might think it is. I can't control when it's going to affect me. I'll be fine for months and then I'll start getting these feelings. For me, depression is lacking motivation to get out of bed. It's taking small things that happen and internalizing them until it feels so massive I just start to cry. It's feeling helpless and completely alone. It's feeling anxious and stressed about things where I normally feel fine. It's feeling angry and aggressive, with no real cause. It's feeling like I have no control over my life. There are things I always try to do when I am feeling these things, to try to cope.

Talk about it
Talking about depression doesn't always have to be a depressing conversation. When friends ask me how I am, I'll answer honestly and say that I'm feeling a little bit low. Even just talking about it tends to help me feel a bit better. It makes me feel like someone cares, and some of those lonely feelings  start to dissipate.

Make lots of plans:
If you look in my diary on any given week, you can see that I've tried to fit things in on most days of the week. I try to sit down on Sunday and plan my whole week out. That way, in the morning, I have a bit more motivation to get out of bed. I have to stick to the plans I've made, especially when they include other people. Sometimes, I plan things for myself, but it still helps motivate me.

Find things I enjoy
I have a lot of hobbies, and sometimes when I'm feeling low, I disconnect from them. Then, after a little bit of time, I will try to get myself back into them. I really enjoy baking so sometimes, if I'm feeling a little bit low and I'm in bed, I'll go into the kitchen and bake my favorite recipes. Or I'll go online and read my favorite blogs. Or I'll watch my favorite films. I try to reconnect with things that have always been enjoyable to me.

Sometimes it takes a few weeks for me to start feeling better. Other times, it's a bit longer. It feels a bit like sitting at the bottom of a deep, dark hole, where you can see the top but you just can't reach it. At least, that's how it feels to me. Everyone is different. Having a blog has been a massive help, and it's a really great creative outlet. It gives me a reason to do things I enjoy, and allows me to express myself  completely.  I hope, dear readers, that you understand how much I love and appreciate you!

Labels: , , ,