I'm a bit of a hoarder. I like saving things. Things I don't wear, magazine pages I never read again, make-up I never use. I've put a lot of time and energy into making my flat feel like a home, but it never feels quite right, because I have too much stuff. So, I've decided it's time for a cleanse! I'm cutting my loses and getting rid of all the things I don't need to keep. My goal is to just have the essentials, and there are a few areas where streamlining is really going to help me!
Hair Products
Any girl with curly hair knows it's difficult not to have a million hair products. The curly hair conundrum. I would go through phases where I'd buy products, use them, and then not replace them, just using whatever stuff I still had around. My hair is really hating me for it. So I've binned everything I had up to this point and completely replaced it all! My corner of the shower doesn't look so crowded anymore!
Make-Up
My make-up is just as bad. I've got some little tubes of mascara that I've had for about 5 years. Aren't you meant to replace your mascara every 6 months or so? Yeah, I've never done that... Getting ready for my wedding really made me realize how little I've actually invested in my make-up, and even worse, how little I took care of my products! So, out with the old (and the very, very old) and in with the new and used all the time!
Skin Care
It sounds a little redundant, to get rid of things just to buy more things. The point here is that all the things I have are useless! I don't use them. So why not replace them with things I will use? Like a proper skincare regiment. I don't really have one. I've got a ton of beauty samples that I've used once or twice and never used again. That's logical! My skincare is now streamlined into 4 main products, which takes up much less space than all the little samples I never used! Plus, the sleep spray really works a treat, and we all know how important a good night's sleep is!
Clothes
There's a dress in my wardrobe that I haven't worn in about 4 years. It hasn't fit me in 4 years. There's two other pairs of trousers that I've not worn in about a year. So why do I keep them? Because I always think, one day I'll wear them, one day I'll fit into them again! It's time to let those things go, and really invest in a wardrobe where I like wearing every single item. Everything is fair game. I'm including my jewelry and stuff in this as well.
Organization
I used to be relatively organized. Before I moved, I had a planner that I wrote everything in, all color-coordinated and everything. I was working 5 part time jobs in addition to trying to maintain a directing career and a social life so it kind of became essential. After I moved, I had no need for it, so my organizational skills have basically gone out the window.
There you have it. My attempt at decluttering and organizing my life! I'm still in the prossess of decluttering but these were definitely my biggest projects. It makes such a difference to get rid of stuff that's been sitting around for ages, and having new stuff that I'll actually use. It's also given me the courage to get rid of even more!
Labels: beauty, fashion, life, lifestyle, organization, outfits